Why Is My Toenail Discoloured?
How Do I Treat Discoloured Toenails?
To schedule best foot care appointment with our licensed Chiropodists (foot specialists), use the booking form below or call 416-769-FEET(3338).
Our Toronto foot clinic is open Monday-Friday 10am-7pm, Saturdays 10am-4pm. You do not need a referral to become a patient at our Foot clinic.
What Causes Toenail Discolouration?
- Brittle or cracked toenails
- Exercising in ill-fitting athletic shoes
- Walking barefoot in communal swimming pools, gyms, yoga studios, showers, and locker rooms
- An existing athlete’s foot infection
- Reduced circulation in the feet due to peripheral vascular disease or diabetes
- Wearing open-toed shoes
- Wearing running shoes that are too small – your feet swell a full shoe size over the course of a long run or walk
- Running shoes that are too big and allow your toes to shift forward and bang the front of toe box
How Do I Prevent Toenail Discolouration?
- If you have dry, brittle toenails, moisturize your toenails daily with a specialized cream
- Wear close-toed shoes with a roomy toe box
- Wear protective footwear when visiting public pools, gyms, yoga studios, and communal showers or change rooms
- Wear moisture-wicking socks and change your socks midday
- Wear shoes made from breathable materials
- Avoid toenail trauma
Book an appointment for discoloured toenail
You do not need a referral to become a patient at our foot clinic. Schedule an appointment by using the Appointment Request form below or phoning the clinic at 416-769-FEET(3338).